Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Damask Magnet Board


Here is another project I worked on this last summer.

I love to collect magnets from every place I visit. I have a ton from when I stayed with my sister in Scotland and all the amazing castles we visited. I even have some from places locally like Lagoon or Antelope Island. They are just so fun and I love seeing all places I have been to.

My old magnet board had run out of room and I had been looking for a larger one for awhile. The only thing is they can be pricey. Even at Roberts with a 50% off coupon it seemed a little steep, so I just put off the project until one magical day while walking through Deseret Industries, our local thrift store, I saw a huge magnet board for 3 dollars, yes I said 3 dollars!. I was with my dad at the time and he had no idea what it was. I just told him I had big plans for it and was really excited.



I wish I had a before picture. The frame was black but really scratched and banged up. The metal is also not in the best shape but that did not bother me I figured I could just cover any dings up with a magnet.
I repainted the frame black and added some vinyl I purchased at Costco for cheep. I had been holding onto it trying to figure out a project to use it for. I really like the damask look and the contrast of the silver on black and the way it looks on the metal.


Here is a closer look. The corner part was not as easy to put on as I thought it would be. I had to take a razor and cut the vinyl then fold it over the edges and match them back up. It is not perfect but turned out pretty well.



And the finishing touch some magnets:)


I love how it turned out!

I linked up with WhipperBerry

1 comment:

  1. How awesome is that! I miss DI, the thrift stores here just aren't as good

    ReplyDelete