Thursday, May 6, 2010

3 Years

So it's kinda weired but tomorrow I will have been divorced from my first husband for 3 years. You may think it weired that I remember the day but for me it was such a life changing moment how could I not. Really it was almost as important as the wedding day.
We probably had one of the quickest divorces ever. We went in on a Tuesday and by that next Monday it was final! What made it quick was that we did not have any kids and we did not have a house. So really all we had to do was divide who got what and that was it. We were married for a little over three years.
I really don't regret having been married before. It was not the best time of my life but I learned so much about myself and those that really do care about me. Also I would not be married to the wonderful man I am now if it were not for the trials I went through.
He and I had a temple marriage and honestly I probably would have gotten divorced in the first year but I thought that was such a huge no no being LDS and having a temple marriage.
What I learned is that heavenly father loves us and wants us to be happy. If we are miserable with our eternal companion really what is the point? That's not saying if you are unhappy now divorce is the answer.
The year before he and I got divorced he told me that he did not love me the way he should love his wife. Wow! That was hard to take but at the same time it answered so much about the way he treated me and made a lot of sense. In my patriartical blessing it talks about how I will have a husband who loves me. I always thought well duh of course I will. So that really hit me as I went back and read it.
We went to counseling and really took time to figure out the relationship. I think if both people still care about each other and are willing to continually work on things than it is worth keeping the marriage together. But once one of you stops trying it's over. You can't hold a marriage together with just one person doing the work. He and I had been together for so long before getting married I think we just thought that marriage was the next step without really looking at it.
I defiantly think having been through a bad marriage and relationship I learned what I did and did not want in a partner. Hopefully most of you figured or figure that out through dating before getting married. I on the other hand was a little slow:) When I met Abe I could see what great qualities he had and that he was someone I wanted to be with. He makes me laugh so hard all the time and I love it. I'm sure I make him laugh to it's just I'm not trying to be funny I just do funny things.
Really I am very open about my whole experience so if you have questions ask. I think being LDS and divorced it's important to share what my experience was. Really at first I felt trapped in a bad marriage and that I would be a terrible person for getting a divorce. I wish I had felt differently.
I truly look forward to my future with Abe knowing he loves me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I did not realize that. And you are right, I think being LDS would make it feel harder to get divorced; but like you say one person cannot do it, it definitely involves both partners and is a lot of work.
    I am so happy that things are good for you now.

    ReplyDelete