Thursday, May 20, 2010

Painting Rod Iron

I was so excited for the nice weather we had this last weekend because it meant I could go outside and paint! I have this rod iron circle hanging on the wall in our front room. The room is full of browns and I wanted a little more color. Our kitchen is kind of an orange/red so I decided to paint this orange and then glaze it with a black/brown color. Abe had his doubts but I am very happy with how it turned out and so is he:)

This is how it started out pretty basic


First I primed it so the paint would stick to the metal


Next I spray painted it with Rustoleam 2x coat in Paprika from the Home Depot
I loved this color it was a great orange with a hint of red
(sorry for the shadow)
You can kinda see where I started to add the glaze over to the left.
This is the part where Abe had his doubts. He was not to sure about the bright orange
If you are not familiar with glaze you apply it and then wipe it off to show the color underneath.


This is the finished product! I absolutely love how it turned out!
I did two coats of the glaze, I wish I had taken a picture after the first coat so you could see the difference. It adds just a little more color and texture to the room.


This was a time consuming project. The hard part was getting the paint and glaze into all the nooks and cranny's of this piece. In the end I think it was all worth it!

I am linking up with
Check them out for other great painting ideas!
Sorry I'm having technical difficulties and could not post the button

2 comments:

  1. What a fun project! I love the red color that you used. Thanks so much for linking up to the CSI Project! We really appreciate it. I hope you will come back next week for our Hardware Store challenge!

    XOXo
    jen

    ReplyDelete